domingo, 7 de octubre de 2007

La vida sevillana

After being here for about 2 weeks, I am finally starting to feel a little less like a guest and more like a Sevillano (citizen of Sevilla). Although my hair is a stark indicator of my foreignness, the population of Sevilla has definitely diversified and maybe (someday) people will actually think I am Sevillano. I think a definite part of that process is getting to know the people of Sevilla. The other night I met a couple who have a little baby who are interested in learning English... I have their number so hopefully my first private tutorial will begin this Thursday. I would absolutely love to get to know a Spanish family... and their baby is que mono (very cute)!

This past friday night Samara, Jenny, Maryanne and I (the roommates) went out for tapas, a traditional Sevillan dinner at a cute little restaurant about 10 minutes from our apartment. Because Sevillans eat huge lunches, they eat tapas, or snacks for dinner. Jenny, my roommate, and I split espinacas (spinach), papas ali oli (potato salad) and pollo al bechamel (chicken in sauce). It was absolutely delicious, we only paid 5 euro each and we made friends with our waiter (Luis).... we all decided that we are definitely going to be regulars at that restaurant!

I will post pictures of our apartment, as soon as we get everything together and it actually looks like a home! Our neighborhood is so Spanish, we are literally the only foreigners and yesterday it was a religious holiday and we watched a paso (parade) pass by from our balcony, which was pretty reminiscient of Semana Santa.

I miss you all greatly girlfriends and I hope you are enjoying reading my blog!

2 comentarios:

Unknown dijo...

can't wait to see pictures of your apartment!
Are your roommates girls that you knew before?

Lauren Davis dijo...

no... I met Jenny ( the one with long dark hair) on facebook and ended up going to lunch with her in Chi town when I went to pick up my visa. The other two girls met Jenny through facebook.. check out facebook for pics of the apt! more updates soon... I promise!